Citrus fruits boost the immune system and help ward off infections. They also aid in digestion and help alkalize the body to keep it in proper balance. They are all high in vitamin C, which is a building block of collagen, which makes up bone, skin, blood vessels and other tissues. Studies indicate vitamin C can reduce the chance of cancers, especially those of the mouth and digestive tract. Here are some interesting health benefits of citrus fruits:
- Grapefruit can help you lose weight and reduce cholesterol levels.
- Lemons help ward off fatigue and have antibiotic and antifungal properties.
- Oranges can regulate blood pressure, reduce inflammation and help with respiratory problems.
- Limes can rejuvenate the skin and relieve constipation.
- Carambola (aka star fruit – tropical but not technically citrus) can rid the body of toxins and treat sore eyes.
If you don’t own one, an electric juicer can be a great way to add more tasty fruits, especially citrus fruits, to your diet.